The last day to register to vote by U.S. mail for any election is 15 days prior to the election. The deadline to register to vote online using the California Online Voter Registration (COVR) website is 12:00 midnight, 15 days prior to the election.
Am I Registered?
Check yvoter registration status by visiting the San Joaquin County Registrar of Voters Department site.
How Do I Register to Vote?
- Visit the California Online Voter Registration website in External Links below. To register, have your California driver license or identification card number, the last four digits of your social security number, and your date of birth.
- Pick up a paper voter registration application at your County Elections Office, library, Department of Motor Vehicles office, or U.S. post office. Your voter registration application must be completed and postmarked or hand-delivered to your county elections office at least 15 days before the election.
- During the period of 14 days prior to Election Day through and including Election Day, an individual can go to the office of their County Elections Official to conditionally register to vote and vote a provisional ballot. This process is called Conditional Voter Registration (CVR).
Do I Need to Register Again?
According to the California Secretary of State, you need to re-register to vote when you:
- move to a new permanent residence,
- change your name, or
- change your political party choice.
For detailed information about voting in California, visit the California Secretary of State Voter Registration Page in External Links below.
Time Off to Vote
On Election Day, California law allows you up to two hours off to vote without losing any pay. You may take as much time as you need to vote, but only two hours of that time will be paid. See the Time off for Voting link below for more information.
California Elections Code - Conditional Voter Registration
California Elections Code - Time off for Voting 2016
California Online Voter Registration
California Secretary of State - Voter Registration Page
San Joaquin County Elections Office
San Joaquin County Registrar of Voters - Check Voter Registration
This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 8/24/2017