Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Planning Division

What is an Assessor Parcel Number and how do I determine mine?

Use this interactive map tool or contact the Planning and Engineering Division.  An Assessor Parcel Number is a unique parcel identification number assigned by San Joaquin County.  

  • First three numbers:  Assessor map book number
  • Middle three numbers:  Page and block number, where appropriate
  • Last two numbers:  Parcel number within the page (or block)


Assessor Book Page Parcel


How can I determine what types of uses are allowed on a particular property?


I would like to build a fence.  What are the allowances and limitations?

Fencing is not required in residential zoning districts but may be required in non-residential zoning districts. Review Development Code Section 16.48 fences, hedges, and walls for Stockton Municipal Code standards for fencing, including required setback from property lines, maximum height, and types of material allowed.  A building permit is required for all fences greater than seven feet in height (where allowed).

Where can I find Planning requirements regarding structure setback, maximum structure height/lot coverage, and density?

Development Code Section 16.24.200, Table 2-3 summarizes development standards by zoning district


What are the requirements for accessory uses and structures?

 Development standards for accessory uses and structures, including:

  • Residential, for example, detached sheds, garages, or other accessory building/structures
  • Commercial, for example, containerized storage units, mobile vendors, motorized food wagons

These may be reviewed in Development Code Section 16.80.020

How can I determine the total cost of my permit fees?

Please review the Planning fee worksheet to determine total fees due.


What are the Planning application submittal requirements?

Please review the submittal matrix.


Where can I file a complaint about suspected code violations?

Neighborhood Services Division of the Police Department investigates all complaints related to Code Enforcement.  Contact the Police Department Neighborhood Services Division for additional information.  To submit a question or coemment directly, select the appropriate topic at Ask Stockton.


Do I need a business license?

Generally, anyone conducting business in the City is required to obtain a business license. Please contact the Business License Division for more information.


I intend to conduct business from my home.  What is a Home Occupation Permit?

Allowable home-based businesses are required to file a Home Occupation Permit application and a Business License application.  A home occupation permit allows for business-related activities deemed to cause minimal impact(s) on neighboring parcels. Review the development and operational standards for home occupation permits and Development Code Section 16.132 for more information.


What are the City's standards for Signs?

Standards for temporary and permanent signs are located in SMC Section 16.76


Is a permit required for my party?

Non-commercial events at which people celebrate personal occasions (such as birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, graduations, and similar events) are allowed on private property, provided:

  • no charge for admission or use of facility,
  • no donations, 
  • no public advertisements, announcement, or flyers,
  • not open to the public, and
  • meets the noise standards Development Code Section 16.60.


Please contact the Community Services Department Special Events information that include street closures, use of parks, and/or public property.



Permit Center Business Hours

See current hours.


Office address and contact information

Please see the Contact Us page for current hours and telephone numbers.


Planning Commission meeting schedule

The Planning Commission meets the second Thursday of every month at 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers at City Hall. The meeting schedule is subject to change.  See Online Meetings for the most current information, including upcoming agendas and meeting archives. Please contact Planning staff for more information.


Where can I find property ownership information?

Contact the San Joaquin County Assessor's Office for property ownership and tax information. Please see External Links below for a link to the Assessor's Office web page.


What is Design Review? How do I determine if property is in a Design Review District?

Design Review procedures and Citywide Design Guidelines encourage development throughout the City that is compatible and harmonious with the design and use of surrounding properties and the City in general.  Design Review Districts secure and maintain orderly and harmonious construction of buildings, signs, and other structures in designated areas of the City.


Residential Design Districts

Section 3.02 of the Citywide Design Guidelines Manual (Single-Family Residential Design Guidelines for Special Districts) for a list and a map illustrating the special districts.


Special Commercial Districts

Special Commercial Districts include areas such as Downtown, Miracle Mile or Channel Area.  See Sections 4.02-4.05 of the Citywide Design Guidelines Manual (Commercial Design Guidelines). 


Carwashes as fundraiser

Car washes are limited to 10 days per year for an individual location and 10 days per year for each sponsoring organization.  Sponsorship is limited to educational, fraternal, religious, or service organizations directly engaged in civic or charitable efforts.  

The car wash must be located on nonresidential property approved by the Municipal Utilities Department.  Please contact the Municipal Utilities Department about the City's Green Car Wash Program and a list of approved car wash locations.



External Links

San Joaquin County Assessor's Office


This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 12/2/2015