Residential Alarm Systems
Use these tips when purchasing a residential alarm system:
How to Choose a Quality Alarm System at a Fair Price
- Ask neighbors and friends what they like and don't like about their alarm systems. Were their systems installed properly and easy to use?
- Ask your alarm company for a list of local references. Call several references and find out what others like and dislike about the company and their equipment.
- Verify that your alarm company and employees are:
- Properly licensed by the California Department of Consumer Affairs.
- In good standing with the Better Business Bureau in Stockton and the California Department of Consumer Affairs. See "External Links" below.
- Make sure the alarm company has a local business license by calling the City's Business License Division.
- Find out if the alarm company is a member of the National Burglar Alarm Association and the Greater Valley Alarm Association.
- Members of these associations pledge to use only the highest installation standards and to employ only state-licensed installers.
Take Time to Study your Sales Contract
Ask these Questions:
If your Alarm is Monitored, Ask More Questions:
- Who will monitor the alarm?
- Where is the alarm company's central dispatch station located?
- Is it local? Are dispatchers knowledgeable of the requirements of Stockton's alarm ordinance?
- Is their station certified by Underwriter's Laboratory?
- Use Enhanced Call Verification?
California Department of Consumer Affairs, License Search for Alarm Company
California Department of Consumer Affairs
Better Business Bureau in Stockton
This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 6/4/2015