Protect you and loved ones with these basic safety tips:
Personal Safety at Your Front Door
When Leaving on a Trip
- Stop all deliveries.
- Connect a light to a timer.
- Notify Volunteers In Police Service, VIPS and have a neighbor check your home periodically.
- Have someone maintain your lawn.
Home Security Inspection Checklist
This checklist is designed to assist you in securing your home against a possible burglary.
Front of the House
- Shrubbery trimmed for visibility?
- Address numbers a minimum of 4 inches in height?
- Address numbers concealed from street view?
- Exterior doors of metal or solid wood?
- Door frames strong and tight enough to prevent forcing or spreading?
- Windows in doors or within 40 inches of locks?
- Door locks adequate and in good working order?
- Strike plates secured with 2-1/2 to 3 inch screws?
- Wide angle viewer on the front door?
- Screen or storm doors secured with adequate locks?
- Entrances well-lighted with at least a 60-watt light-bulb?
- Front entrance be observed from the street?
Side or Rear Entrance
- Doors concealed from the street or neighbor's view?
- Sliding panel for glass door secured from being lifted out of the track?
- Charlie bar or key-operated lock on sliding door?
Garage Doors and Windows
Basement Doors and Windows
- Gate latches 40 inches below the top of the gate; secured with rounded-edge through bolts and high-security padlocks?
There are currently no external links.
This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 6/23/2015