SB 1305 revised a section of the State of California Medical Waste Management Act to make it a violation of state law for home-generated sharps waste to be placed in garbage containers, including recycling and green waste containers.


SB 1305 also requires sharps waste be transported in an approved sharps containers and managed by a specified facility (i.e., household hazardous waste facility, medical waste generator facility or a facility managed as part of a mail back program). 


Unwanted Medication and Prescription Drugs

Please do not place over-the-counter (OTC) and prescription medications in the garbage, flush down toilets, or pour in drains. These items contain hazardous substances that can threaten human health and the environment when not disposed of properly. Help protect our water supply by properly disposing of unwanted or expired medications.


  • The San Joaquin Household Hazardous Waste Facility (HHW) accepts medications (no narcotics) at NO COST from Stockton residents.
  • The City also participates in the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency's National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day events. Click the Stockton Recycles logo in External Links for upcoming collection dates.     


Home-Generated Sharps Waste

Photo of a Hypodermic NeedleHome-generated sharps waste include hypodermic needles, pen needles, intravenous needles, lancets, and other devices used to penetrate the skin for the delivery of medications from a household, including a multifamily residence or household.

Why can't I throw my sharps in trash cart?

Improper disposal of these devices in the trash or down the toilet is a health and safety threat to children, home health care providers, sanitation and sewage treatment workers, and others through accidental "stick" injuries. Besides the pain of a needle-stick injury, people exposed to sharps can contract life-altering diseases from bloodborne pathogens.

Where can I dispose of my used sharps?

Photo of a Needle BoxTo safely dispose of your used home-generated sharps, place them in a biohazard sharps container and contact your personal physician, clinic administrator, or local pharmacy. Ask if they have a sharps take-back program in place for their customers.


If sharps are purchased online, please remember to request a pre-addressed, prepaid mail-back box for used sharps. Mail-back containers are easy and convenient. See External Links below for a list of sharps mail-back services authorized for use in California from the California Department of Public Health.


The San Joaquin County's HHW Consolidation Facility accepts home-generated sharps, medications (no controlled substances), and other household hazardous waste, free of charge, from San Joaquin County residents.

 Photo of San Joaquin County HHW Facility

San Joaquin County
Household Hazardous Waste Facility
7850 R.A. Bridgeford Street, Stockton

Open Thursday through Saturday
9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

All sharps must be sealed in a biohazard sharps container. For more information on the San Joaquin County HHW Program, please call the San Joaquin County Department of Public Works, Solid Waste Division at (209) 468-3066.

Stockton residents may also drop sharps off at other locations free of charge.

See External Links for Sharps Collection Sites in San Joaquin County.


External Links

Stockton Recycles 

California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Medical Waste Management Program

San Joaquin County HHWConsolidation Facility - Collection site for San Joaquin County residents

Sharps Collection Sites - Medical sharps collection sites in San Joaquin County

Coalition for Safe Community Needle Disposal 

This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 10/19/2017