Claims for Damages
Filing a Liability Claim Against the City of Stockton
"A claim relating to a cause of action for death or for injury to person or to personal property or growing crops shall be presented as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 915) not later than six months after the accrual of the cause of action. A claim relating to any other cause of action shall be presented as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 915) not later than one year after the accrual of the cause of action."
Instructions for Filing a Claim Against the City of Stockton
- To ensure processing of your claim, complete each item on the Claim for Damages Form.
- Claims must be filed either in person or mailed to the City Clerk.
- Once your claim is received, it will be forwarded to the City's claims administrator for review.
- Once the investigation of your claim has been completed, you will be notified in writing or contacted directly with regard to the merits of your claim. In order for the City to utilize public funds for payment on any claim, there first must be an evaluation of liability.
- If you have any questions about completing this form or the claims process, please contact (209) 937-8233 and ask for the Risk Services Division.
- Presentation of a false claim is a felony (Penal Code §72). Pursuant to CCP §§128.5 and 1038, the City may seek to recover costs of defense in the event an action is filed that is later determined not to have been brought in good faith and with reasonable cause.